Masonic Temple

Masonic Temple
110 West J Street

The first Masonic Temple in California was constructed on land donated by Alexander Riddell and with lumber donated by Benicia founder Robert Semple.  The lower floor of the building was used as a courtroom and county offices prior to completion of the State Capitol building in 1853.  Benicia was county seat for Solano County at that time.  The second floor of this building is virtually unchanged and has remarkable ornate woodwork made by California frontier craftsmen.